Why It Works

As I mentioned in the introduction, I was not looking for a typical gym.  I was looking for something that would meet my unique needs at this stage of my life.  When my son, John, found Orange Theory for me, I was intrigued by a number of things which interested me.

First, Orange Theory pushes me.  Even at my first workout, I could tell that my home workouts were insufficient.  I have a nice treadmill, similar to the ones gyms use.  However, when I worked out on my own, when I got the slightest bit uncomfortable, I would back off.  I thought I was doing the right thing.  Having never been an athlete, I sure didn't want to do too much too soon.  At Orange Theory, however, I have learned that the discomfort I was feeling is a natural part of the process.  They call it the Orange Zone.  In that zone, you can expect to feel a little uncomfortable as your heart rate reaches 80% or more.  After several workouts, I am now comfortable getting in the Orange Zone and get a much better workout.

Second, Orange Theory takes out most of my excuses.  Here in Laredo, it is hot.  Really hot.  For that reason, most people do not go out unless they have to go somewhere.  That limits the number of steps I get in a day.  It also limits the type of outdoor exercise I am willing to do.  Working out in the Orange Theory environment, I do not have to worry about limiting my exercise due to hot or cold days.  It is always the right weather to work out at Orange Theory.

Third, the coaching has been the closest thing to a personal trainer without having the cost of a personal trainer.  As I continue to go at my goal time period, I have had the same coaches repeatedly.  Your coaches get to know you.  They know what you are capable of doing.  For example, I started out only walking.  Not only did I walk, but I held on to the rails of the treadmill while I walked.  Eventually, I had built up enough strength to start jogging.  It took mental effort for me to let go of those rails and start jogging.  It was one of those "do or die" moments.  As I started jogging, my coach, Ally, said, "Mama Bear, are you running?  Good for you!"  There were runners all around me but Ally had been watching and new I had progressed.  Another time, I was in the weight room using 8 pound weights.  I didn't think I could do more.  Ally said to me, "I think you are progressing.  Maybe you should try 10s."  I did and she was right.  Often, at Orange Theory, if I am struggling with an exercise, a coach will come by and suggest a modification for me to help me build up to where I can do the exercise.  I really appreciate that.  For example, I still can't do a pushup.  Coach Derek noticed that on one workout and suggested an arm strengthening exercise with weights to help me build up to a push up.  Sometimes when I think I am doing an exercise right, Coach Nolan will come by and correct my form.  Instantly, I can feel the difference in the workout.  Coaches like those at Orange Theory are not there to just run a class.  They get to know you and what you can do. 

Fourth, there is a new workout each time.  While the workouts are basically similar, each time, there is a new workout.  For me, this helps me address new challenges and stay interested.

Fifth, the motivation of the coaches and the class atmosphere challenge you to do your best without making you feel bad that you can't do more.  Orange Theory is a rare combination for me.  I always leave feeling good about what I did, even if the person next to me could do more.  I am on a very personal journey with friends who join me on their own journey. 


These are just some of the things I have found while working out at Orange Theory.  It has been a real blessing to find a new kind of gym that encourages all people at all levels. 

Comments