Does it get any easier?

As we were doing an ALL OUT on the treadmill last night, a lady next to me said, "Does it get any easier?"  I quickly said, "Oh yes!"  Then I realized I lied. 

The workouts do not get easier because it is heart rate or effort based.  So, with time, you will DO better but you will also DO more.  That's the goal anyway.  For instance, while I started at 3 mph with no incline, I can now hit 5 mph with no incline on an ALL OUT (two minutes or less).  Not stellar for many, but in my category, I am shaking it!

So, why did I tell her it gets easier?  Because the WHY becomes so evident.  The first two weeks do hurt more because you are moving muscles you never knew you had.  And, after they hurt, you know why you never knew you had them!  You are more tired because your body is exerting itself for the first time in a while.  And, most importantly, you cannot see any results.  All together, that is a tough challenge.

I read somewhere that it takes 2 to 4 weeks for you to feel better, then it takes 6 weeks for you to tell you look better, and it takes the rest of the world 8 weeks to notice your improvement.  I would say that is about right. 

I started going to Orange Theory three times a week from the start (minus a small break for an unrelated injury).  Going to workout routinely, I noticed a difference in how I felt after two weeks.  I could definitely tell my hormone tornado was being subdued.  Not all symptoms were gone, but I could tell enough of a difference that I wanted to keep going.  In four weeks, I knew there was a difference.  In six weeks, I could tell my clothes were fitting better and I was feeling better.  After eight weeks, others started commenting.  Even the nurse at my doctor's office could see I looked a lot better.  And, keep in mind, it was not just physical.  My husband says my eyes are brighter and my countenance is happier. 

Looking good and feeling good!  What more could you ask for?  So, when the lady next to me said, "Does it get easier?" I could not honestly say the workouts get easier because my goal is to continue to give an effort that gets results.  In that sense, the workout should never be easier.  However, once I start to see the difference in my mental state and body, the WHY made it so much easier.  I not only wanted those results - I needed those results!  I became excited to come back each time because I couldn't believe I could feel better than this at 47. 

Orange Theory has continued to show me again and again that my age and hormone stage of life should not dictate how I feel.  When I workout consistently, it gets easier because, when I stare at that mirror during the "tread" workouts, I no longer see a tired, worn out woman.  I see a sweaty powerhouse waiting for her new self to emerge!  That is what makes is so much easier......and so addictive!

Comments